According to the Autonomy Act the Aland Parliament is competent to pass a law in following areas:
- education and culture
- the police service
- municipal administration and taxation
- health and medical services
- social legislation
- postal service
- promotion of industry
- internal communications
- tenancy and rent regulation
- radio and television.
In these fields the compence of Aland is exclusive.
Finnish state law applies on Aland with regard to:
- constitutional law and amendments
- customs and the issuance of money
- courts of justice and criminal law
- most aspects of civil law
- banking and corporate legislation
- land law
- labour law
- foreign relations and the border guard service
- state taxation.
Legal acts of special importance to Åland enacted by the State Parliament, including international treaties, shall be consented by the Åland Parliament to be binding for the region.