Åland and Finland have been a part of the European Union for 25 years. Currently, the Åland Islands Peace Institute is working on a project, in collaboration with ÅSUB, investigating the significance of EU membership for Åland. The investigation, which runs during 2020-2021, includes six sub-questions and aspects:
- How has EU membership affected Åland’s opportunities for self-determination and democratic participation?
- Participation and strategies of autonomous regions in the EU.
- Åland, the EU, and the environment
- EU law and legislative drafting on Åland
- Changes in Åland’s demographic structure
- The significance of freedom of movement
External resource personal and senior advisors are attached to the project. Open seminars are held throughout the project and can be found on the Peace Institute’s YouTube-channel as well as on our website. Reports are published in the Report Series.
Sia Spiliopoulou Åkermark